Bunions can be troublesome. Our expert podiatrists can monitor & set the best treatment for this common foot problem with our bunion treatment in London.
More details Less details
All bunion treatments in London are offered by our podiatrist at City Foot Health.
What are bunions?
A Bunion, also known as Hallux Valgus, is a common foot condition, which involves the development of a bony growth below the base of the big toe. It occurs when some of the bones in the front part of your foot move out of place. This causes the tip of your big toe to get pulled toward the smaller toes and forces the joint at the base of your big toe to stick out. The skin over the bunion might become red and sore.
A Bunion is a progressive disorder, which will progressively get worse over time without intervention. As the bunion develops, it can become increasingly painful when walking or running, cause footwear fitting issues, and develop redness and swelling from excessive rubbing in footwear. In severe cases, the position of the big toe will also shift over time, often overlapping the lesser toes, which can cause further pain and discomfort. These symptoms can begin to affect daily activities and having a significant impact on quality of life.
What causes bunions
There is no exact set of causes for Bunions, although likely causes are:
- Hereditary factors – if your parents have Bunions it increases the risk of developing them
- Foot Stress or Injuries
- Arthritis – particularly rheumatoid arthritis
- Tight or too-small shoes that cause your toes to crowd together and put pressure on your big toe joint
- Shoes that have high heels or pointy toes — these styles force your toes together
- Standing for long periods of time
Bunion treatment in London at City Foot Health
At City Foot Health, our friendly HCPC registered podiatrist offers a wide range of treatments and advice regarding bunion therapy.
The podiatrist will carry out an assessment of your general health as well as your foot health before deciding on a treatment plan.
Bunion treatments in London at City Foot Health by our podiatrist include:
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Improve joint mobility by breaking up connective tissue adhesions and restrictions around joints
- Orthotic/insoles therapy: Orthotic insoles, padding, bunion pads and toe spacers can reduce symptoms and slow down the progression of the deformity
- Footwear Advice: Narrow, restrictive, and high-heeled shoes can increase the risk of bunions and also increase symptoms. Wide, comfortable shoes, with adequate space for the toes, can reduce pain and discomfort.
- Surgical procedures: Discussing minimally invasive bunion correction surgery and referring to the podiatric surgeon.
- Use of anti-inflammatory medication: Long days on your feet can be painful. Applying ice packs, resting and taking, and regular over-the-counter pain relief can help you cope.
Call us today to book an appointment for bunion treatment in London! For any bunion problems we can't fully treat in-house, we can refer you to our specialist consultant surgeon Dr Sam Singh.
Foot Treatments in London
Looking for metatarsalgia treatment in London? If you're near Liverpool Street pop in for a consultation and a detailed treatment plan.
Are you looking for Morton's Neuroma treatment? We can help you manage this condition. Contact City Foot Health today!
Think you have a toe infection? Get in touch today for diagnosis and treatment of a fungal nail infection (Onychomycosis).
Playing sports can be hard on your feet. If you have sudden, unexplained pain in your feet, knees & hips, then you might want to speak to our specialists.
CANCELLATON POLICY: Please be advised that if you cancel within 24 hours of your appointment or fail to attended, then there will be a charge for the missed appointment.