Bunions can be troublesome. Our expert podiatrists can monitor & set the best treatment for this common foot problem with our bunion treatment in London.
More details Less details
Our HCPC registered podiatrists can offer a variety of bunion treatment methods in London. The symptoms of bunions can often be improved without surgery. Specialist podiatry including acupuncture, joint mobilisation and manipulation, custom orthotics/insoles, well-fitted shoes, and regular anti-inflammatory medication or gels can help ease symptoms and help you get on with normal activities.
All bunion treatments in London are offered by our podiatrist at City Foot Health.
What are bunions?
A Bunion, also known as Hallux Valgus, is a common foot condition, which involves the development of a bony growth below the base of the big toe. It occurs when some of the bones in the front part of your foot move out of place. This causes the tip of your big toe to get pulled toward the smaller toes and forces the joint at the base of your big toe to stick out. The skin over the bunion might become red and sore.
A Bunion is a progressive disorder, which will progressively get worse over time without intervention. As the bunion develops, it can become increasingly painful when walking or running, cause footwear fitting issues, and develop redness and swelling from excessive rubbing in footwear. The position of the big toe will also shift over time, often overlapping the lesser toes, which can cause further pain and discomfort. These symptoms can become quite severe, affecting daily activities and having a significant impact on quality of life.
What causes bunions
There is no exact set of causes for Bunions, although likely causes are:
- Hereditary factors – if your parents have Bunions it increases the risk of developing them
- Foot Stress or Injuries
- Arthritis – particularly rheumatoid arthritis
- Tight or too-small shoes that cause your toes to crowd together and put pressure on your big toe
- Shoes that have high heels or pointy toes — these styles force your toes together
- Standing for long periods of time
Bunion treatment in London at City Foot Health
At City Foot Health, our friendly HCPC registered podiatrist offers a wide range of treatments and advice regarding bunion therapy.
The podiatrist will carry out an assessment of your general health as well as your foot health before deciding on a treatment plan.
Bunion treatments in London at City Foot Health by our podiatrist include:
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Improve joint mobility by breaking up connective tissue adhesions and restrictions around joints
- Orthotic/insoles therapy: Orthotic insoles, padding, and toe spacers can reduce symptoms and slow down the progression of the deformity
- Footwear Advice: Narrow, restrictive, and high-heeled shoes can increase the risk of bunions and also increase symptoms. Wide, comfortable shoes, with adequate space for the toes, can reduce pain and discomfort.
- Surgical Advice: Discussing surgical options and referring to the podiatric surgeon.
- Use of anti-inflammatory medication: Long days on your feet can be painful. Applying ice packs, resting and taking, and regular over-the-counter pain relief can help you cope.
Contact us today for bunion treatment in London!
Reflexology is a specialist foot massage that applies pressure to reflex points on the feet. It has multiple health benefits and is extremely relaxing.
What is Metatasalgia? It is the pain in the metatarsal area of the forefoot, caused by an abnormal pressure loading. How to get rid of this? Keep reading.
Are you suffering from Morton's Neuroma, or inflammation of the nerves in the feet? We can help you manage this condition. Contact City Foot Health today!
For fungal infections, a podiatrist should discuss correct & appropriate treatment, as well as information & advice on how to prevent further infections.
CANCELLATON POLICY: Please be advised that if you cancel within 24 hours of your appointment or fail to attended, then there will be a charge for the missed appointment.